Healthy Waffle Recipe
When the order of the day is health, yet the taste buds call for waffles, this healthy waffle recipe is an option for the health conscious diner for those who want to enjoy the taste of a waffle sandwich without the guilt.
What is so healthy about this recipe? Well, first there is the use of canola oil. Canola oil is low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat. Which means low in bad fat high in good fat. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids that are also beneficial to your health. profile. It is supposed to be the "healthiest" of all commonly used cooking oils. This makes this recipe also a low fat waffle recipe
Then there is a lack of sugar. We only use one tablespoon of sugar which is great if you are watching your diet. This waffle recipe has fewer calories than other recipes.
Then there is flaxseed. Flaxseed is mostly used for flaxseed oil that is abundant in omega fatty acids. It is often compared to fish oil
. If you are interested in a full list of flaxseed oil benefits
check this article.
There are a few more ingredients that are healthier than in you average waffle recipe. Like whole wheat flour is better than normal flour etc... but that's enough of the health talk, let's focus on the recipe.
Healthy waffle recipe ingredients
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk or water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat a waffle iron, and coat with cooking spray if necessary.
2. Sift dry ingredients – flour, flax seed, wheat germ, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Beat eggs in a separate bowl.
4. Add remaining liquid ingredients – milk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla together and whisk until well blended.
5. Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture and stir until smooth.
6. Pour batter into waffle iron and cook until crisp and golden brown.
That's it for this healthy waffle recipe. Enjoy it and stay healthy!
Rate This Recipe!
This article hasn't been commented yet.